Contain your excitement, it's a Link Hive!
|Let's see what's in the 'ol link hive this week...|
From the blogodome - blogs that are worth your time
- Fare and Fowl - These are the political essays of Leonard "Red" Balaban. I highly recommend checking out his well reasoned and insightful essays.
- Lifehacker - Hopefully, dear reader, you have already discovered the cornucopia of awesomeness that is Lifehacker. If not, go there now and learn how to do more with less.
- "Don't Feed the Trolls" from Stubornella - Nicole Sullivan's talk from the 2012 O'Rielly Fluent conference explaining why you should just ignore flame bait and concentrate on the more reasonable comments/posts/tweets. It will make for better online relationships and communities. The primo soundbite: "If you respond only to ass-hats, your life will soon be full of ass-hats." This lesson is largely ignored in the real world, too. I'm looking at you, Congress.
- From MIT's Technology Review - "A Peek Behind China's 'Great Firewall'" Finding out that the main purpose of all the internet censorship by the ruling party is to preempt "collective action." Underscoring for the umpteenth time why you should donate to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
- From Science magazine: Hubble shows imminent (in only a few billion years, time is running out!) collision between our Milky Way galaxy and its two nearest neighbors, Andromeda and Triangulum.
|Hydrogen bridge? Smells more like methane to me.|
- CERN presser: Neutrinos don't travel faster than the speed of light, after all. Hendrik Antoon Lorentz has ceased spinning in his grave. (Editor's note: We promise this is the last quantum mechanics joke that will ever appear on this blog.)
- A review of Robert Draper's book, Ask Not What Good We Do. (Go here to buy your copy today.)
- Two posts about why our Either/Or democracy is forcing more people out of the Big Two political parties and enforcing the tyranny of labels to stifle discourse.
- Seriously, go watch Frontline. Right now.
That's all for now. Stay tuned for the next exciting installment of...LINK HIVE!